Photographic journey of my dance in 2019

What it says on the box, folks!

Welcome to 2020. This blog was initially started for university requirements, however, I'm feeling it may be useful to keep my dance musings separate anyway. So I'm going to attempt to keep up two blogs. I'm mad. I know this. But I'm going to try.

The other day I read of a woman who posted her thoughts on what was essentially 'mothers' depression' (link here). While I don't have three children, her feelings and thoughts definitely resonated with me. The one thing I took away from her open letter was that I have a hobby, I have me-time, and I have every right to it, mother or no.
What it says on the box, folks! Scroll down for a few images that really made my year...

Welcome to 2020.

This blog was initially started for university requirements, however, I'm feeling it may be useful to keep my dance musings separate anyway. So I'm going to attempt to keep up two blogs. I'm mad. I know this. But I'm going to try.

The other day I read of a woman who posted her thoughts on what was essentially 'mothers' depression' (link here). While I don't have three children like the author, her feelings and thoughts definitely resonated with me. The one thing I took away from her open letter was that I have a hobby, I have me-time, and I have every right to it, mother or no. And that made me curious, how many mums out there actually have a hobby or passion apart from their kids or work? Unfortunately, I think the answer may be 'not enough'. We spend our mothering lives running the kids to this that and the other sport with little to no thought about good-old downtime in the backyard. Or simply being in each other's company.

In our family, we share our sports (ballroom dancing and swimming) and so we end up spending time together in our hobbies and our downtime. While the balance is hard given that my work is usually in the evenings and my husbands' during the day, we manage.

Which leads me to my next concern. We have been invited to attend a competition in Lombok, Indonesia this year. The main debate as a mother has been 'what do I do with my child?!'. She really wants to come with us, however, my concern is with the weird hours of dance competitions with no set schedules and so no idea if we can even compete because I'm not quite crazy enough to leave her unattended in a ballroom even if she is only 15m away from me at any one time!

At home there are no dramas, she's now used to a full day of dance what with her father helping out the younger ones in their events and then dancing with mummy at the end of the day. My concerns for the foreign competition are probably unfounded (I am a control freak after all), but I can't help being mum.

Most of the organising will have to take place on that weekend rather than 3 months before as I would prefer, but perhaps this forced 'chill out, take it as it comes' approach will make me a better person.

And teach my daughter that mummy is often wrong and a worry-wart, but it's all okay in the end!

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 - memories...

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
- what else is a kid to do while waiting around all day?

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

CC BY-NC-ND 4.0

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment


image by randombaubles, CC BY-NC-SA 4.0