Learn to dance online. Maybe.

I've jumped on another bandwagon. Sorry. Bandwagons are in great demand at the moment and getting rather overloaded and overused. Anyhow, as several fellow bloggers have written on this topic already, I won't repeat their musings, you can read them for yourself by finding them in my Blogs I follow list.

Photo by Nihal Demirci on Unsplash
I want to talk about the dance lessons that are perhaps not the first ones you'd think of. I'll come back to that thought though in a moment.


I always wanted to learn ballet. My daughter was interested too (for 2 minutes, at least), and so I opened up YouTube and off we went. There are thousands of learn-to-dance ballet videos out there. My advice? Stick to known artists or artists who have a decent following with regular videos posted and also regular interaction with their viewers. Having said that, I believe it would be best to start with the ballet companies and their videos first, to ensure you're not going to break anything and give you a baseline idea of just what 'beginner' should mean.

I recommend The Royal Academy of Dance https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA3wapo_nuqsh1tqLUJZ1rA and their beginner videos for 'silver swans' - even though I'm not over 55 I've never had a ballet lesson before and thus my body is probably more at this age for ballet lessons anyway! Also have a look at Alessia who runs Lazy Dancer Tips, and Kathryn Morgan who dances for the Miami City Ballet currently. Very clear, knowledgeable dancers in so far as I can determine. Many dance techniques and principles are similar across styles and so to hear things said that my own coaches tell me constantly is a comforting notion.

So ballet is a very easy form to learn online, at least in terms of equipment and the plethora of videos. My blog project here for the next month or so will, therefore, focus on the less 'pop culture' styles of dance. Or at least the ones that aren't in vogue at the moment.

Keep an eye out for my first post in the series: Irish Dancing! Coming soon.


Happy dancing, everyone. 


If you want to know how life's going in general, visit me at everydaybeautyinlife. See you there!


Comments


image by randombaubles, CC BY-NC-SA 4.0